High School Guidance Counselors, Science/Technology, and Business Faculty
The Annual Technology Challenge competition is scheduled for two days during the spring semester and is intended to provide an opportunity for high school sophomores, juniors, and seniors to showcase their technology and business skills. The competition includes four aspects:
- the construction of a robot
- several performance tasks
- concept design and an as-built design
- the production of a business plan and marketing piece for the robot
Teams and faculty from schools will visit the Alfred State Wellsville campus for an initial meeting to receive design kits, competition regulations, and judging criteria. Then, at a later date, they will reconvene at the Alfred State campus in Alfred to showcase their creations.
Preliminary Guidelines for the Competition
- This is a team project – each team will consist of up to six team members.
- All teams must have a minimum of four female students.
- Schools may send multiple teams.
- All materials for the project will be supplied by Alfred State.
- The technology component of the project will consist of the design and construction of a small robot along with several performance tasks.
- The business component of the project will be a business plan and marketing piece for the robot (i.e., company name, mission statement, marketing materials, etc.).
- Exact rules and regulations will be provided during the initial meeting.
- Plaques will be provided for first-, second-, and third-place teams.
- Team members must have sophomore, junior, or senior status in their respective high schools.
If you are interested in involving your school in this technology and business competition, please contact either:
Thomas G. Murphy
Recruitment and Articulation
Mechanical and Electrical Engineering Technology