Questions to Ask When Choosing a College
- What are the admissions requirements for my program of study? Are SAT or ACT scores required for admission?
- How does the college view involvement in extracurricular activities during high school when making the admission decision?
- Are letters of recommendation or an essay required for admission?
- When will I know if I’ve been accepted?
- What makes this college unique?
- How many students attend the college?
- What is the student/faculty ratio? What is the average class size?
- What kind of academic advisement is available?
- Is credit given for Advanced Placement courses or college courses taken in high school?
- What do I do if I need extra help in a class?
- How safe is the campus?
- Can I live on campus? What are the residence halls like?
- Can I choose a specific residence hall? A roommate?
- Will I need a car?
- What meal plans are offered?
- Are there health services on campus?
- What types of social activities are available?
- What intercollegiate/intramural sports programs are offered?
- What is the average cost for one year?
- Is financial aid available? How do I apply?
- Are jobs available on campus?
- What do I do if I want to change majors?
- What is the employment rate for my major?
- If I’m interested in continuing my education once I graduate, can I transfer?
- What types of scholarships are available?
Alfred State's Answers
If you are thinking of attending Alfred State then many of these questions are answered in our Frequent Questions section.