Top 10 of 2013
Alfred State has made quite a few lists and earned some prestigious awards this year—from Cosmopolitan’s best colleges for meeting men to being named a best lifetime return on investment in the state. Here are just a few to ring in the New Year.
10. Alfred State’s agriculture and veterinary technology programs earned a spot on the 10 Top Large Animal Vet Tech Schools & Farm Animal Programs list from vettechcolleges.com.
9. In September, 2013, the college officially opened its new $33 million Student Leadership Center in the heart of campus. This state-of-the-art hub for civic engagement, leadership opportunities, and epic fun was built with the goal of attaining LEED gold certification.
8. August saw our students competing in an international solar home design competition (the 2013 China Solar Decathlon) and walking away with a first place win in energy balance.
7. Cosmopolitan ranks us seventh among the top ten colleges and universities for meeting men.
6. A degree from Alfred State is considered the sixth Best Lifetime Return on Investment in New York by affordablecollegesonline.org.
5. We moved to fifth among top public schools in the North according to U.S. News and World Report. And we’re now 17—up from 23—among top regional colleges and universities in the North. This is the seventh consecutive year the college has made the list.
4. For the fourth year in a row, the college was named an official military friendly school by top-rated publisher Victory Media and G.I. Jobs Magazine. We are one of just 26 SUNY schools who received the honor.
3. Only three new projects in the State of New York earned a coveted AmeriCorps VISTA grant for the 2013-2014 year. And Alfred State, with its focus on nutritional literacy and community-based gardening in collaboration with Literacy West NY, Inc. and Alfred Community Garden, was one of the fortunate recipients.
2. The newly renovated Physical and Health Sciences building earned both LEED Gold Certification from the US Green Building Council and a platinum award for engineering excellence from New York’s American Council of Engineering Companies.
1. 2013 marks our first year of Pioneer athletic competition at the NCAA Division III level. And the football team scored its first NCAA DIII win during Homecoming 2013.