Frequently Asked Questions about Life on Campus

How much cash should a student have for personal spending money?

It depends on the student. For the most part, once the college bill is paid, most expenses are covered! Students have a safe, clean, comfortable place to live. Their food needs are, for the most part, addressed by their meal plan. Their entertainment is, for the most part, free.

What calculator is required for my math course?

The mathematics courses listed require either a scientific calculator or a graphing calculator. You may purchase these calculators at the Campus Store so you can be prepared for the first day of class.

Course NameCourse NumberRequired/Recommended Calculator
Mathematical ConceptsMATH 1004No calculator use allowed
Statistics IMATH 1123 TI-30X IIS or TI -83 or TI-84
Liberal Arts Math IMATH 1143TI-30X IIS or TI -83 or TI-84
Quantitative ReasoningMATH 1323TI-30X IIS or TI -83 or TI-84
Explorations in GeometryMATH 1423TI-30X IIS or TI -83 or TI-84
Algebra ConceptsMATH 1014 TI -83 or TI-84
College AlgebraMATH 1033TI -83 or TI-84
College Algebra of FunctionsMATH 1034TI -83 or TI-84
PrecalculusMATH 1054TI -83 or TI-84
Technical Calculus IMATH 1063TI -83 or TI-84, students in programs that require Calculus II (or Technical Calculus II) and beyond may prefer to have a TI-89 or a Voyage 200
Calculus IMATH 1084TI -83 or TI-84, students in programs that require Calculus II (or Technical Calculus II) and beyond may prefer to have a TI-89 or a Voyage 200
Statistical Methods & AnalysisMATH 2124 TI -83 or TI-84
What intercollegiate/intramural sports programs are offered?

There are 18 intercollegiate sports (see list below) and a wide variety of intramural sports available. For further information see the intramural sports page.

  • Baseball
  • Men's Basketball
  • Women's Basketball
  • Men's Cross Country
  • Women's Cross Country
  • Football
  • Lacrosse
  • Men's Soccer
  • Women's Soccer
  • Softball
  • Men's Swimming
  • Women's Swimming
  • Men's Indoor Track & Field
  • Women's Indoor Track & Field
  • Men's Outdoor Track & Field
  • Women's Outdoor Track & Field
  • Volleyball
  • Wrestling
What is the male/female ratio?

The male/female ratio is 3:2.  The reason?  Our Wellsville applied technology programs (auto body, building construction, drafting, etc.) consist mostly of male students.  Female students are more than welcome to enter these programs!

What is the student/faculty ratio?

The student/faculty ratio is 20:1.  Classes are small enough for every student to receive individual attention.

Who pays for extracurricular activities?

Every student pays a mandatory activities fee as part of the college bill. That payment creates a pool of funds used to sponsor club and organization activities. Over $ 525,000 a year is committed to providing fun, growth-oriented activities. Occasionally there is an extra cost for major programming, but for the most part, everything is already paid for from activities fees.

Are single rooms available?

Yes, designated singles are available in the MacKenzie Complex, Getman, and R/C Halls, and in our new townhouse complex on a first-come, first-served basis. The opportunity to have a single room is very slim, especially for freshmen. Residency in the townhouses is limited to continuing/returning students.

Based on observations, freshmen generally have a more positive experience when they have a roommate. There is an additional cost for singles. To be put on the list, you need to check the "single room" option when completing your online Residence Hall Preference Survey.

Are there computers in the residence halls?

No, but if a student would like to bring their own computer from home, access to the college network is available in all residence hall rooms. Laptop computers are available to purchase through the Campus Bookstore.

Are there laundry facilities?

There are washers and dryers in every residence hall available for use on a first come, first serve basis. A system called LaundryView is available on-line to assist students in tracking machine availability.

Are there times when a student is expected to go home?

There are times when a student is expected to go home. Unless a student is an approved resident of an extended stay area, students are required to vacate campus facilities when classes are concluded. For more information, consult the License for Residence, our agreement with you for residential services.

Do students have to provide their own transportation to the Wellsville campus?

No. ACES buses make three trips in the morning and three in the afternoon to and from Wellsville. Students are encouraged to use this free service; however, they can drive their own vehicles.

How are room assignments made and may a student choose his/her own roommate?

Room sign-ups for returning students occur in late March. Returning students are given first opportunity to select their preferred housing style. Freshmen and transfer students are assigned to rooms over the summer, priority based on receipt of deposit. As a freshman or transfer student, you can request a certain residence hall or lifestyle, but Residential Life cannot always honor your request. For example, single rooms are heavily requested and only people who paid their deposit early will be assigned to one of those halls. There are opportunities for room and residence hall changes during the first week of classes of each semester. After that first week, room changes are only made in emergency situations.

Yes, a student may choose his/her roommate. On your BannerWeb Room Preference Survey, there is a section designated for this purpose. Students may choose their own roommates if both students agree to live with each other and write each other's name on the residence hall selection form. The Office of Residential Life will attempt to honor these requests. Any questions concerning room assignments should be directed to the Residential Life Office at (607) 587‑4326 or 1-800-4-ALFRED.

How are the rooms furnished?

All standard double rooms are furnished with two of each of the following: beds and mattresses (twin size, extra long), floor or ceiling lamps, dressers, closets, desks, desk chairs, and mirrors. Furniture assigned to your room is your responsibility - it's for your room only and must not be removed or traded with other students. Please see the residence hall details page for room description and size.

How can you find out about events on campus?

Our online master calendar, Cable Channel 3, the Tor Echo (student newspaper), and WETD-FM provide real-time updates of activities and programming on-campus. If students are bored, they are not looking hard enough.

How does the telephone service work?

All residence halls are wired for standard modular telephone jacks. Residents are required by their Residential License for Residence to provide one touch-tone telephone per room. Each student is issued a personal billing number (PBN) and then will receive a monthly phone bill if long distance calls are made.

How far is it to the Wellsville campus?

The Wellsville campus is approximately 15 miles away (a 20‑minute drive). Students can use the free Alfred State bus service to get to the Wellsville campus, or they can use their own cars.

How many students live on campus?

Approximately 75% of students live on campus.

How often should a student go home?

It all depends on the student how often they should go home. Residential Life recommends students stay on campus, especially on the weekend, as much as possible. College is a full-time job. For your student to succeed academically as well as socially, a tremendous amount of time must be committed. If your student is a four-and-one-half-day a week participant, leaving campus every weekend, there is no possibility of achieving the full college experience. That's a big loss from our perspective!

If a student is shy, what can Residential Life do to get him/her involved?

There are many things we can do. In addition to a professional coordinator, each of our residential facilities is staffed by student assistants, resident assistants and community assistants, whose primary responsibility is the development of community among their residents. Building a community among students from every race, background, and belief system is a big task. RAs and CAs are very active in getting students involved in campus programming and services. That is the best interest for everyone.

If a student is unhappy with their roommate, what will be done about it?

First, we'll get both sides of the story. Please encourage your student to visit with the building Residence Director immediately. The RD is a professional staff person assigned to building operations. It's his/her job to see that our number one goal as a department, "the maintenance of a supportive education environment," is achieved. The RD will then speak with both parties, determine appropriate action, and recommend remedies. Your student's success is important to us, just like it is to you.

If my student is disciplined, will I be notified?

Generally a parent is not notified. If your student is 18 years of age or older, a law called the Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) prohibits colleges from sharing confidential information like grades and disciplinary status with parents. This is a general provision. FERPA has been amended to allow campuses to share concerns relative to personal safety and/or significant alcohol or substance abuse issues with parents and Alfred State is very aggressive in incorporating you in the solutions phase of concerns of this nature.

Is there a residence hall specifically for Wellsville students?

No, all students reside on the Alfred Campus and are housed in one of the 12 residence halls on campus.

Is there special housing for first year students?

Freshmen can choose to live anywhere on campus. All residence halls are usually made up of a mix of freshmen and upperclass students.

May a student live off campus?

It is mandatory for all students to live on campus unless they are waived due to special circumstances. Examples of special circumstances include residing with a parent or legal guardian and commuting fewer than 60 miles one way, married, age 24 or older, or have children. Students may also live off campus if they meet the academic eligibility criteria. A housing waiver application must be completed for the Residential Life Office to consider off-campus housing.

What are the room dimensions and window measurements?

They are different for each building, as listed in residence hall details page.

What do I do if I need extra help in a class?

Visit the Learning Center. They'll put you in touch with a peer tutor. The best part is that tutoring services are FREE!

What is the best residence hall to live in?

All of our residence hall communities have their own special attributes.  As a student at Alfred State College you can choose from a number of different residence hall lifestyles all with unique amenities.  You can choose to live in one of our corridor residence halls which include Braddon Hall, Burdick Hall, Getman Hall, Peet Hall, Shults Hall, and R/C Hall.  These residence halls consist of several rooms and a bathroom(s) opening onto a long hallway.  Another option is one of our suite style residence halls which include MacKenzie North, South, East, and West, Main Gate A, and Main Gate B.  These residence halls have three or four rooms sharing a common lounge and bathroom.  We also provide an opportunity for students to take advantage of townhouse living right on campus.  Each townhouse has a living room, kitchen, two bathrooms, and single room for each of the six students residing there.  For more information about living on campus, please call the Residential Life Office at (607) 587-4326.

What is there to do for extracurricular activities?

There are plenty of ways for a student to become involved with activities on campus. There are over 50 clubs and organizations ranging from student government and academic related clubs, to clubs like Outdoor Recreation and Karate. Click here for a complete listing of clubs and organizations.

What services are available to help students succeed?

Health and Wellness Services is where students can go for counseling or help for a wide variety of issues. The Student Success Center provides students with tutoring services. In addition, students with learning or physical disabilities can go to the Student Success Center for assistance.

What type of transportation is available in Alfred?

Public bus services are available which include: Hornell Area Transit Bus for local trips to and from Hornell, Shortline Bus to all areas of the state (stops at Alfred Travel Center on West University Street, tickets are available at Alfred Travel), and Greyhound and Trailways bus available out of Hornell.

ACES provides bus service to students to and from the Wellsville campus, around the campus loop, and to and from the farm. A nursing shuttle and shopping shuttle are also available.

Air and rail service is available out of Buffalo, Rochester, and Elmira.

What types of jobs are there on campus?

There are many jobs on campus including work study, dining services, and various jobs through Student Activities, Athletics, and Admissions. See our student employment opportunities page for further details.

What types of social activities are available?

There are more than 70 different clubs and activities available on campus. Different types of clubs and activities include intramural sports, academic clubs, and special interest clubs. See our clubs and organizations page for a complete list.

Are copiers available for student use?

There are two copiers available for student use located in the Hinkle Library and the first floor of Central Dining Hall. Each copy costs $.10. Each machine is card reader equipped for use with the Campus Spending Account.

Where can I get more information on ACES student employment?

The ACES student employment page can answer most of your questions about working for ACES. If you need more information, send us an e-mail.

Does the college provide the tools needed in each curriculum?

No, students are expected to purchase their own tools and will need them at the beginning of the semester. Parents are encouraged to insure the tools through their homeowners insurance.

What tools do I need for my curriculum?

Some academic programs require you to have equipment, tools, supplies, and uniforms on the first day of class. Below you will find the requirements for each program listed.

Automotive Trades Department

Building Trades Department

Computerized Design and Manufacturing Department

Culinary Arts Department

Electrical Trades Department

Physical and Life Sciences Department

Where can I find out more about parking regulations?

You can learn all about parking by reading our parking regulations available online and/or by visiting the University Police Department, which is open 24 hours per day.