Frequently Asked Questions about Residential Life

What date can I move into my residence hall room?

First year students may begin moving into their residence hall on Wednesday, Aug. 20, 2014 after 8:30 a.m.  Orientation Part II begins Wednesday afternoon.

Are single rooms available?

Yes, designated singles are available in the MacKenzie Complex, Getman, and R/C Halls, and in our new townhouse complex on a first-come, first-served basis. The opportunity to have a single room is very slim, especially for freshmen. Residency in the townhouses is limited to continuing/returning students.

Based on observations, freshmen generally have a more positive experience when they have a roommate. There is an additional cost for singles. To be put on the list, you need to check the "single room" option when completing your online Residence Hall Preference Survey.

Are there computers in the residence halls?

No, but if a student would like to bring their own computer from home, access to the college network is available in all residence hall rooms. Laptop computers are available to purchase through the Campus Bookstore.

Are there times when a student is expected to go home?

There are times when a student is expected to go home. Unless a student is an approved resident of an extended stay area, students are required to vacate campus facilities when classes are concluded. For more information, consult the License for Residence, our agreement with you for residential services.

How are room assignments made and may a student choose his/her own roommate?

Room sign-ups for returning students occur in late March. Returning students are given first opportunity to select their preferred housing style. Freshmen and transfer students are assigned to rooms over the summer, priority based on receipt of deposit. As a freshman or transfer student, you can request a certain residence hall or lifestyle, but Residential Life cannot always honor your request. For example, single rooms are heavily requested and only people who paid their deposit early will be assigned to one of those halls. There are opportunities for room and residence hall changes during the first week of classes of each semester. After that first week, room changes are only made in emergency situations.

Yes, a student may choose his/her roommate. On your BannerWeb Room Preference Survey, there is a section designated for this purpose. Students may choose their own roommates if both students agree to live with each other and write each other's name on the residence hall selection form. The Office of Residential Life will attempt to honor these requests. Any questions concerning room assignments should be directed to the Residential Life Office at (607) 587‑4326 or 1-800-4-ALFRED.

How are the rooms furnished?

All standard double rooms are furnished with two of each of the following: beds and mattresses (twin size, extra long), floor or ceiling lamps, dressers, closets, desks, desk chairs, and mirrors. Furniture assigned to your room is your responsibility - it's for your room only and must not be removed or traded with other students. Please see the residence hall details page for room description and size.

How many students live on campus?

Approximately 75% of students live on campus.

How often should a student go home?

It all depends on the student how often they should go home. Residential Life recommends students stay on campus, especially on the weekend, as much as possible. College is a full-time job. For your student to succeed academically as well as socially, a tremendous amount of time must be committed. If your student is a four-and-one-half-day a week participant, leaving campus every weekend, there is no possibility of achieving the full college experience. That's a big loss from our perspective!

If a student is shy, what can Residential Life do to get him/her involved?

There are many things we can do. In addition to a professional coordinator, each of our residential facilities is staffed by student assistants, resident assistants and community assistants, whose primary responsibility is the development of community among their residents. Building a community among students from every race, background, and belief system is a big task. RAs and CAs are very active in getting students involved in campus programming and services. That is the best interest for everyone.

If a student is unhappy with their roommate, what will be done about it?

First, we'll get both sides of the story. Please encourage your student to visit with the building Residence Director immediately. The RD is a professional staff person assigned to building operations. It's his/her job to see that our number one goal as a department, "the maintenance of a supportive education environment," is achieved. The RD will then speak with both parties, determine appropriate action, and recommend remedies. Your student's success is important to us, just like it is to you.

Is there a residence hall specifically for Wellsville students?

No, all students reside on the Alfred Campus and are housed in one of the 12 residence halls on campus.

Is there special housing for first year students?

Freshmen can choose to live anywhere on campus. All residence halls are usually made up of a mix of freshmen and upperclass students.

May a student live off campus?

It is mandatory for all students to live on campus unless they are waived due to special circumstances. Examples of special circumstances include residing with a parent or legal guardian and commuting fewer than 60 miles one way, married, age 24 or older, or have children. Students may also live off campus if they meet the academic eligibility criteria. A housing waiver application must be completed for the Residential Life Office to consider off-campus housing.

What are housing costs?

The room cost is based on the type (standard double, single, or townhouse) and/or size (small, large, or double single) of room. Each residential student is required to purchase a meal plan which should be figured in when you're planning your budget.

For more information, call 1-800-4-ALFRED and ask to speak to the Student Records and Financial Services Office.

What is the best residence hall to live in?

All of our residence hall communities have their own special attributes.  As a student at Alfred State College you can choose from a number of different residence hall lifestyles all with unique amenities.  You can choose to live in one of our corridor residence halls which include Braddon Hall, Burdick Hall, Getman Hall, Peet Hall, Shults Hall, and R/C Hall.  These residence halls consist of several rooms and a bathroom(s) opening onto a long hallway.  Another option is one of our suite style residence halls which include MacKenzie North, South, East, and West, Main Gate A, and Main Gate B.  These residence halls have three or four rooms sharing a common lounge and bathroom.  We also provide an opportunity for students to take advantage of townhouse living right on campus.  Each townhouse has a living room, kitchen, two bathrooms, and single room for each of the six students residing there.  For more information about living on campus, please call the Residential Life Office at (607) 587-4326.

When do I get my room assignment?

Room assignments are mailed out during late June for the upcoming semester. If you do not receive a room assignment, contact Residential Life at (607) 587-4326.

Am I allowed to have guests?

Students may have guests 17 years of age and older.  Guests must check in at the residence hall office upon arrival and may only visit for three days within a 10-day period.  Any guest under the age of 17 must be a family member and prior written permission must be provided by the parent/guardian of the minor.  The Office of Residential Life also encourages conversations to occur with roommates before any guest arrives.

Do I have to move out of my room during college breaks?

There are four breaks during the school year when the residence halls close.  Fall break occurs during October, Thanksgiving break in late November, winter break in December, and spring break in March.  Students are asked to leave campus during this time, with the exception of international and out-of-state students.

Do I have to remove all my belongings between the fall semester and the spring semester?

No, unless you are not returning for the spring semester.  We do, however, ask that you take anything of value such as laptops, cash, video games, etc., home with you.

How do I request to live with a friend?

If you would like to request a specific roommate, you will need to obtain that person’s Roommate Sharable ID (available from the Residential Life menu in BannerWeb) and enter it on the housing survey.  You must also obtain your Sharable ID and give it to your roommate.   To ensure placement with your requested roommate, your answers to some questions must match the answers of your requested roommate.  See the Housing Preference Survey for more information.

May I change my room assignment?

The selection process that is used for your room assignment is completed through the online housing preference survey.  The Office of Residential Life strives to place you in a location that reflects your survey responses.  There is a period when students who wish to relocate can do so (based on space availability). This open room change period occurs for three days at the start of each semester. During this open room change period, students may move to any available space with the permission of the Resident Director (RD). At the completion of the open room change period, elective relocation ends.

May I have a single room?

Single rooms are reserved for upperclassmen.  There are two buildings on campus that are single lifestyle - Robinson Champlin (R/C) Hall and Getman Hall.  There are also a limited number of single rooms in the MacKenzie Complex.

Should we get renters insurance?

Please check your homeowner’s insurance policy to verify if the student’s belongings are covered.  The College recommends students obtain renters insurance if not covered under their parent’s policy.

What if I do not get along with my roommate?

It is important to remember that communication is the key to an effective roommate relationship.  If you and your roommate take the time to discuss any problems and work together to solve those problems, then you are off to a good start.  However, sometimes difficulties may arise that need more attention.  If this type of situation does occur, please seek assistance from your resident assistant (RA) or residence director (RD).  Your RA and RD are trained to assist you and your roommate to solve any problems you may be having.

What if I have special housing needs related to a medical condition?

You will be asked to provide medical documentation to our Office of Health Services.  If approved, and space is available, we will do our best to provide you with appropriate accommodations.  Please be aware that there is an additional charge for single room accommodations.

What is my mailing address?

Your Name
Alfred State College
Residence Hall and Room #
10 Upper College Drive
Alfred, NY 14802

What items should I bring and not bring?

Please refer to the guide to moving & packing page for a complete listing.

When do I get my roommate’s contact information?

Your room assignment and your roommate’s information will be mailed to you in June.  It will also be available on BannerWeb.  The Office of Residential Life encourages you to contact your roommate to arrange room set up and items you wish you bring.

When is mail delivered?

USPS Mail is delivered Monday-Friday to each residence hall by 1 p.m.  UPS and Fed Ex deliveries are picked up at the Document Center by the student (located behind Orvis) and signed for with student ID Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. - 5 p.m.