Living and Learning Community
Get a jump on your college experience from your first day on campus by joining one of these unique experiences!
You have the opportunity to become a member of one of our Living and Learning Communities (LLC) and take the knowledge you are learning in the classroom and connect it with experiences outside the classroom. This will make you better prepared to tackle your college experience than other students!
- You will be enrolled FNAT 2333- Survey of Design. This course, taught by the department chair, Dr. Alex Bitterman, will be a strong foundation course for your architectural career.
- You will have the opportunity to attend presentations by architects and educators from around the nation as part of the Department of Architecture and Design Lecture Series. These lectures will be mandatory for all LLC participants and will give you a unique look into to the world of architecture and design.
- Six lectures will also be held in Peet Hall for LLC participants throughout the semester from Alfred State faculty and invited guests on varying topics.
Digital Media Animation and Graphic Design, LLC
- Students develop personal and collaborative studio practices within the Creative House Studio.
- Large external monitors and other dedicated production equipment are available 24 hours a day to increase productivity in creative pursuits.
- Faculty and student mentors provide Creative House participants with insight into success strategies for college life and beyond.
- Lunch and dinnertime events with faculty allow students to connect with all department faulty members, not just those they have class with.
- Students are scheduled to participate in a First Year Seminar class that prepares them with creative and professional skills specific to their field.
- While living in the Leadership Living Learning Community, students examine their strengths, develop mentoring skills, explore political issues, and participate in team-building activities.
- This program is a developmental partnership between the Department of Residence Life, the Office of Student Engagement and The Center for Civic Engagement.
- Activities, Involvement and Leadership’s role in the Leadership LLC includes helping to coordinate various leadership initiatives speaking on a wide array of topics to help develop perceptions of leadership Alfred State; promoting existing leadership opportunities and providing support to the participants as they complete their first year on campus.
- Students living in the Civic Leadership Living Learning Community will take the first class of the leadership minor together. Students do not need to pursue the minor in the future, but will take the first class, EPLP 1031 Social Change in Leadership. Learn more about the leadership minor.
- Students who are part of the Civic Leadership Living Learning Community must be active and participate in the community and class in order to live in the community.
- LLC residents live with other first-year nursing students and make connections around their academics. Participants will take a class together right in Burdick Hall.
- Freshman nursing students have the opportunity to be part of a community dedicated to helping new students transition into the nursing curriculum.
- This LLC provides first year nursing students enhanced opportunities to learn from and connect with their faculty.
- Residents of the Nursing LLC also take off campus trips that promote teambuilding and bonding as a cohort.
If you have any questions, or need more information, please contact:
For Residential Inquiries:
Assistant Director of College Housing and Judicial Affairs
For Architecture LLC Inquiries:
Professor and Chair, Architecture and Design
For Creative House LLC Inquiries:
Secretary, Digital Media & Animation
For Leadership LLC Inquiries:
Director of Student Engagement
For Nursing LLC Inquiries:
For Summer Prep Academy Inquiries:
Student Success Center