The graphic & media design program at Alfred State is different from other graphic design programs. It's specifically designed to meet current and future needs of an increasingly screen-filled and design-driven world. Studio courses employ active learning and real-world problem solving, which provide students with an experience that mirrors the professional studio environment.
The growing in-house design services industry is creating positions nationwide. Design studios, as well as in-house design services, demand highly versatile creative problem solvers. A new versatile designer is what the graphic & media design program is designed to create.
The required system specifications:
Incoming students are required to purchase a laptop and Adobe Creative Cloud software.
- The Adobe Creative Cloud software can be purchased at: https://www.adobe.com/
- Once there, choose the students and teachers tab for the educational discount.
- Please go to the following address to view system specific options for laptops: http://www.alfredstate.edu/required-laptops
We recommend one of the following two options:
OMEN Laptop – 15t (SKU:6CM24AV_1)
- Intel® Core™ i7 9750H (2.6 GHz, up to 4.5 GHz, 12 MB cache, 6 Cores)
- NVIDIA® GeForce® RTX 2060 (6 GB GDDR5 dedicated)
- 15.6" diagonal FHD 144 Hz IPS anti-glare micro-edge WLED-backlit (1920 x 1080)
- 1 TB 7200 rpm SATA; 128 GB PCIe® NVMe™ M.2 SSD
- 32 GB DDR4-2666 SDRAM (2x16GB)
15- inch MacBook Pro
- Intel® Core™ i7 (2.6 GHz, up to 4.5 GHz, 6 Cores)
- Radeon Pro 555X with 4GB of GDDR5 Memory
- 256GB SSD
- 32 GB 2400MHz DDR4 Memory
Please ensure you get an adaptor to connect USB-C to USB and HDMI plus SD card reader.
- It is recommended that you purchase the laptop through the campus store. Laptops purchased elsewhere cannot be repaired at the Help Desk.
- If you choose to buy the MacBook Pro, the recommended system is the 15” MacBook Pro with Ram upgraded to 32gb, but please be aware that you will need to also purchase multiple adapters for the new USB-C ports.
Financial aid may cover all or a portion of these purchases. For more information, please contact the Student Records and Financial Services Office by phone at 1-800-4-ALFRED or 607-587-4253 or by email at email@example.com.
Assistance will be available with software setup and maintenance such as setting up email, connecting to the server, and printing. The Help Desk is a certified Apple repair center. If your MacBook needs to be sent off campus for repair, they can provide you with a loaner.
2014 Graphic Designer Median Pay $45,900/year, $22.07/hour*
2014 Multimedia Artist Median Pay $63,630/year, $30.59/hour*