At Alfred State, our political engagement efforts are focused on providing help to navigate the paperwork, regulations and other barriers that may deter students from becoming politically active. These efforts include:
- Registering students to vote during new student orientation and during move-in days.
- Embedding voter registration in the residence hall programming.
- Utilizing National Voter Registration Day, Constitution Day, and other key events to initiate voter registration campaigns.
- Holding special programs and outreach to publicize key dates, resources, and websites.
- Enlisting the assistance of the Office of the President to send reminders to students on registration and participation.
Register to Vote
As a United States citizen, you have the opportunity to make a difference by casting your vote in local, state, and federal elections. Our goal is to provide you accessible and understandable information about voter registration and voting procedures.
- You can register using your campus address to vote which allows you to access a polling station located within minutes from campus. Use the links below to complete a voter registration form. You can choose to mail the form to a board of elections office. Or, simply drop it off to one of the staff contacts below and we’ll do it for you. Students living on campus should use this address: MC #____, 10 Upper College Drive, Alfred, NY 14802. This will allow you to vote at the polling station located just five minutes from campus.
- You can register with your home address. Then, you would either need to travel back home to vote or simply request an absentee ballot from your home county's board of election. Please use the link below to request an absentee ballot.
Not sure where or if you are registered to vote? Visit https://voterlookup.elections.ny.gov/.
Deadlines are found on the Board of Elections website.
The links below are for residents of New York State. Students who are residents of other states may search your state’s board of elections information on the usa.gov website.
Voter Registration Links
- New York State Voter Registration Application (English) pdf
- New York State Voter Registration Application (Spanish) pdf
Alternatively, a simpler way for many is to register to vote online at the DMV website.
Absentee Ballot Links
If you prefer not to vote in person, request an absentee ballot by visiting https://absenteeballot.elections.ny.gov/. Alternatively, you may complete and mail the application at the links below.
- New York State Absentee Ballot Application (English) pdf
- New York State Absentee Ballot Application (Spanish) pdf
One of the most common barriers to voting is a lack of education and understanding around deadlines and candidates. Get Informed! Visit VOTE 411 or the CEEP websites for non-partisan voter guides. Below are some resources to help you stay informed:
- Rock the Vote
- Makes voting easier for young adults by simplifying and demystifying voter registration and elections.
- Keeps track of elections; local and national. Will provide forms to register, update voter registration, or request an absentee ballot.
- Read clear and succinct summaries of upcoming and active legislation.
- Directly tell your lawmakers how to vote on those bills by clicking “Yea” or “Nay.”
- Follow up on how your elected officials voted on bills, so you can hold them accountable in the next election cycle.
- Voter Registration Deadlines
- Presidential primary deadlines, congressional primary deadlines, state and local primary deadlines, general election deadlines, voting by absentee Ballot Deadlines
Get Out and Vote
If you are registered to vote in Alfred, the polling station is at the following location:
A. E. Crandall Hook and Ladder Company, 5 S. Main St, Alfred, NY 14802
It's located two blocks from campus behind the Village Hall and adjacent to the public library.
Stay informed on local and national election dates on PioneerLink or by contacting the Center for Civic Engagement (email@example.com).
County Board of Elections can field questions on voting and are an excellent source of information. See a list of contacts for all Boards of Election within New York. Below is the contact for our local Board of Elections.
Allegany County Board of Elections
8 Willets Ave
Belmont, NY 14813
Phone: 585-268-9294, fax: 585-268-9406
Michael J. McCormick, Comm. D Brent L. Reynolds, Comm., R Barbara Broughton, Dep. Comm., D Marcy Crawford, Dep. Comm., R
The following Alfred State staff contacts are a great source for on-campus information. They can answer questions, provide voter registration forms, collect and mail any forms to the board of elections, and help make the voting process easier.
Leslie C. Buckley
Coordinator, Accessibility & Tutoring Services
Alfred State College School of Applied Technology
Wellsville, NY 14895
Phone: 607-587-3112, fax: 607-587-4572
Director, Center for Civic Leadership & Office of International Student Services
Alfred State College Student Leadership Center
Alfred, NY 14802
Dr. Melanie A. Ryan, Ed.D., M.S.
Office of Accessibility Services
Alfred State College Student Development Center Room 136
Alfred, NY 14802
Phone: 607-587-4506 Fax: 607-587-3210