Alfred State students may cross-register per the following guidelines with other SUNY campuses or with other Rochester Area Consortium Colleges. Cross-registration is available for undergraduate courses during the fall and spring terms only. Student must be matriculated at the home institution. Students may cross-register for a maximum of six credit hours per semester and may not exceed 19 credits total between the host and home institutions.
- You must have the approval of both the home and host institution by following the appropriate cross-registration process below. All pre-requisite/co-requisites set by the host institution must be met.
- Students may take a course(s) at another institution ONLY if the course is NOT offered at Alfred State and other registration options are not available to maintain the student’s time to degree.
- Courses must be applicable toward the student’s degree at Alfred State.
- Registration dates and deadlines vary by college. You are responsible for contacting the host institution for registration related dates and deadlines.
- You are responsible for the attendance and academic requirements of the course even if home and host calendars do not coincide.
- You are responsible for notifying the appropriate offices on both campuses if you withdraw from a course(s) (Registrar, Students Accounts, Financial Aid, etc.). Failure to do so can result in a failing grade at the host institution.
- Enrollment changes may impact your eligibility for financial aid. Please consult your Financial Aid Office regarding academic eligibility for financial aid, including satisfactory academic progress standards.
- Your signature on the cross-registration agreement indicates your agreement to abide by all regulations imposed by the host institution (parking, attendance, library rules, etc.). In addition the host institution may apply rules and regulations to incoming students as it deems necessary (e.g., restrictions on classes based on seat availability). Be sure you are aware of those rules before you cross-register.
- Home institution students have priority for all course at the college or university, so popular courses may be closed to cross-registrants because of space limitations.
- All course-related fees are the responsibility of the student.
- Any Health Center (immunization/records/physical exam, etc.) requirements must be met at both institutions.
- Students that cross-register at community colleges must file residency documents at the host institution. This means you will need to provide the community college a certificate of residency (must be obtained from the county of your permanent residence).
- Registration is the responsibility of the student. You must check with the host institution to confirm how they plan to process your cross-registration and any necessary additional paperwork required to complete the enrollment process.
How to Process Your Cross-Registration
- Seek advisement on the course you wish to take from your academic advisor. Course(s) must meet the cross-registration guidelines.
- To seek permission to cross-register at another SUNY institution you must go to www.SUNY.edu/crossregister and complete the online cross-register form. You will be notified via email if your cross-registration has been approved.
- To seek permission to cross-register at a member Rochester Area Consortium College, print the RAC form, http://www.alfredstate.edu/sites/default/files/downloads/Cross-Registration-Rochester-Area-Colleges-Form.pdf, and obtain the necessary signatures from your academic advisor/chair/dean and then the Records Office. You will then submit this form to the host institution per their cross-registration process.