Determine if you meet the minimum qualifications and if you will be employed or seeking the pre-employment course.
Sworn officers must be:
- Hired by a police department, full- or part-time, prior to enrollment in ASPA and registered as a police officer with New York State’s Division of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS) on the state registry.
- Pass standardized physical fitness tests.
Pre-employment recruits must be:
- At least 19 years of age.
- Complete a background check process (no felony convictions; other offense history will be reviewed more carefully during the application process).
- Meet physical fitness and medical standards requirements.
- Complete an oral interview.